How to contribute to memorials for Sandy Hook victims The following memorial funds for the victims of the Sandy Hook school shooting have been established, and families have suggested places to make contributions in the name of their loved one.
The News-Times will add to this list as information becomes available.
Charlotte H. Bacon: Christ the King Lutheran Church, 85 Mount Pleasant Road, Newtown, CT 06470.
Daniel Barden: Contributions can be made at www.Bardenfund.com or may be mailed to The Barden Family Fund, 32 Tappan Terrace, Briarcliff Manor, NY 10510 or brought to any TD Bank in Westchester, N.Y.
Segment #3 Update
Lawyer withdraws petition to file $100 million Sandy Hook claim against state — for now A New Haven attorney has hastily withdrawn his petition to file a $100 million lawsuit alleging that the state of Connecticut failed to adequately protect students at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
“I received new evidence on security at the school, which I need to evaluate,” Irving Pinsky told the Stamford Advocate. He had filed the complaint days earlier.
A revised filing may be in the cards, Pinsky added.
“We haven’t decided which route to take yet,” he said. “A lot depends on the evidence we uncover.”
If Pinsky chooses to amend the suit, he must re-submit paperwork to the state’s claims commissioner, who decides if claims against the state can proceed.
A 17-year old high school student has been suspended for a poem she wrote about the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
Courtni Webb wrote the poem in a personal notebook about Adam Lanza and what she felt were his reasons for the mass murder at the Connecticut school earlier this month.
On December 14, crazed Lanza gunned down 20 students, aged just six and seven, and six adults in one of the worst school shootings in American history.
Plastic Bottle Ban In Concord, Massachusetts Goes Into Effect
Concord, Massachusetts has become one of the first communities in the U.S. to ban the sale of single-serving plastic water bottles.
According to the Associated Press, the plastic bottle ban resulted from a three-year campaign by local activists. The activists pushed to reduce waste and fossil fuel use.
Octogenarian Jean Hill lead the charge, telling The New York Times in a 2010 interview, “The bottled water companies are draining our aquifers and selling it back to us.” She declared, “I’m going to work until I drop on this.”
The campaign Ban the Bottle claims that “It takes 17 million barrels of oil per year to make all the plastic water bottles used in the U.S. alone. That’s enough oil to fuel 1.3 million cars for a year.” Their website also states: “In 2007, Americans consumed over 50 billion single serve bottles of water. With a recycling rate of only 23%, over 38 billion bottles end up in landfills.”
Iowa artist plans to paint rocks in all 99 counties Every new year begins with goals, and Ray “Bubba” Sorensen II of Greenfield set a heavy one for himself in 2012.
Sorensen is best known for painting the 60-ton “Freedom Rock” attraction on Interstate Highway 80, situated next to a quarry one mile south of Exit 86. He decided to franchise the idea and wants to paint a rock in all 99 of Iowa’s counties.
He’s already painted rock murals in Dallas (Waukee) and Mitchell (St. Ansgar) counties. Seven other counties have signed up, and he’s itching to make an artist’s tour around the state that rivals Sen. Chuck Grassley’s annual visits to each county.
Police Have Arrested 22-Year-Old Sacramento New Years Eve Suspected Shooter SACRAMENTO, CA – Police in Sacramento, California have arrested a suspect shooter in connection with the New Year’s Eve shooting incident that Killed 2 people and injured three others.
Officials say that the suspect, a 22-year-old, was among three people wounded Monday evening. His injuries and those to a security guard and a woman are not life threatening.
According to police, a bar argument had escalated when an employee of the Sports Corner Cafe off of K and Second streets in Old Sacramento attempted to break it up. The 22-year-old shot the employee as well as a women and another man.
That man and the employee were pronounce dead at the scene.
Official say the an armed guard engaged the gunman after hearing shots fired. Both men suffered bullet wounds as they returned fire back and forth.
Because of the shooting, Sacramento police decided to cancel the midnight fireworks show planned as part of New Year’s Eve festivities.
Segment #8 Closing Thoughts
Follow Radio Freedom on Facebook